Owning a high-quality custom applique flag is a source of pride for many people in this country, but it’s critical to keep your flag looking as good as possible. If you fly your flag outdoors, this can be hard to do. Try these tips to keep your flag looking good all year long.
- Take your flag down once a month and inspect it. Outdoor flags can be damaged by a number of things, including wind, rain, and dirt. We’ve also seen flags that have been chewed on by squirrels and mice, faded by sunlight, and a host of other issues that we would run out of room to talk about. The one thing we’ve learned is that you never can guess what’s going to happen to a flag, so it’s a good idea to periodically check it for signs of damage.
- Fix small issues right away. If your flag starts to fray, cut off the damaged piece and re-hem it. Also repair small holes along any seams as soon as they appear.
- Keep your flag out of extreme weather. While a number of our customers want to fly their flag outdoors all year round, we recommend bringing it inside when the weather gets bad. High winds can tear seams apart, and rain and snow can damage the fabric. Although our applique designs are extremely resilient, it helps to keep them out of the bad weather.
- Deal with water immediately. If your flag does get wet, take steps to protect it right away. If you’re displaying it outside, make sure it can wave freely in a sunny spot. This will enable it to dry quickly. If the flag is so wet that it clings to the pole and cannot wave, take it down and stretch it out in a well-lit, dry area. Never fold or store the flag while it is wet, and do not store it in a dark place. This will encourage mold to grow on the fabric, which will destroy the flag.
- Wash your flag according to its care instructions. To clean a nylon flag, use mild detergent and either hand wash it in a sink or use the lowest setting on your washing machine. Always use cold water. Many cotton and polyester flags are required to be dry-cleaned. If you need to remove a stain, use a stain removal product that is appropriate for the fabric.
To learn more about extending the life of your flag click the link below to download our guide. Our flag and banner experts have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to flag care, flag repair, and flag maintenance. Contact us today to request a quote to repair your flag!